Wednesday, February 22, 2012

OS X sucks

OK, so may be that’s harsh.  It’s a good desktop distribution.  My wife and oldest daughter have iBooks.  I learned lots of *nix-y stuff on OS X.  Things fall apart, however, when you try to do something simple like

for i in `seq 1 10`; do echo $i; done

Why?  Because seq is not included with OS X.  You’ll have to make a while loop instead or see if you can install it with Fink.  That sucks.  What makes it worse, is that Leopard just got certified to be called Unix (Unix 03 certified by the Opengroup) and yet I continue to get smacked by small bugs that make me wish I had a some Linux distro installed.  One of these days, I’ll start up my list of gripes.  At the head of the list will be ‘no seq’ and ‘bonjour quietly fails on the print service in OS X Server.’

1 comment:

  1. OS X is not Linux. Minor incompatibilities and differrent names between UNIX flavors is almost as old as UNIX itself.If you want Linux, use Linux. Go to your OS X and type:

    jot - 1 10

    ReplyDelete